Tuesday, November 14, 2006

U.S. v. Martinez-Martinez (9th Cir. - Nov. 14, 2006)

Wow. The Ninth Circuit doesn't waste much time before it invites judges to sit by designation, huh? Here's an opinion authored by Judge Larson, who sits on the district court in the Central District of California. And who was confirmed by the Senate only eight months ago!

Confirmed in March 2006 and already hearing cases in the Ninth Circuit in October 2006, with a published opinion the very next month. Talk about speedy.

P.S. - Full disclosure: I knew Steve ("Judge Larson") way back when he was in high school, as he debated for Damien High School (in La Verne, California) during the same period I debated for Lake Braddock High School (in Burke, Virginia). I wish I could tell you who won the debates we had against each other. Or what I know about Steve high school days. But I forget one and will refrain from revealing the other. You can guess which is which. :-)

Great job, Steve -- err, Judge Larson. Keep up the good work!