Monday, February 09, 2009

Jamgotchian v. Slender (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 9, 2009)

My wife and I used to live very close to the Del Mar race track, which we saw during our daily walk around the neighborhood. Notwithstanding that fact, I've never actually been there, and my proximity to the track didn't give me much information about the logistics of horse racing, including all of the details regarding what horse races when.

But thanks to Justice Kriegler, I know a lot more now than I did back then.

It's a fascinating case, and involves a horse that was (allegedly) forced to race when the owner was adamantly opposed to the horse racing and repeatedly tried to scratch him. What's the relationship between the trainer and an owner? How do tracks put together races? What are the formal and informal deadlines for scratching a horse from a race? Justice Kriegler explains all this and more.

So if you're interested in knowing how yet another tiny piece of our complicated world works, here's another good one for you. Read and learn.