Friday, February 12, 2010

California Correctional Peace Officer's Ass'n v. California (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 11, 2010)

Nothing from the Ninth Circuit in two days. Nothing from the California Court of Appeal today. It's a lazy, lazy four- or five-day weekend, apparently.

Yesterday, at least, we learned that even if you're one of the most powerful unions in the nation, you don't always win in the Court of Appeal.

Life's tough all over, I guess.

Which reminds me of a presentation I gave at the Reagan library a couple of weeks ago. Which I noticed was guarded by no less than a half-dozen federal marshals, maybe more. (I only saw six of them, but I imagine more were around I didn't see.)

Which made me think: Is this really the most efficient use of taxpayer dollars? I mean, I guess terrorists could be interested in hitting a presidential library. But do we really need more than a token well-paid federal marshal, maybe supplemented by some quite lower-priced rent-a-cops?

Or maybe I'm underestimating the threat to Reagan's belt buckles.