Friday, November 04, 2011

Glenn v. Washington County (9th Cir. - Nov. 4, 2011)

The more I read this opinion, the more I became convinced that there was utterly no reason why 18-year old Lukus Glenn had to die.  At least viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the nonmoving party.  I would be horrified -- horrified -- if I were his parents, and watched the police kill him.

I agree with Judge Fisher, who reverses the grant of qualified immunity to the officers.  And then some.  I have rarely seen a case in which I'm more sympathetic to the parents.

Washington County better hope it pulls a jury without parents on it.  Because even just reading the thing would make me think twice before calling the police to assist me with an unruly child.  My reaction to actually hearing the evidence might be even stronger.