Friday, April 27, 2012

People v. Le (Cal. Ct. App. - April 27, 2012)

I'm glad that Justice Benke decided to publish this opinion.  Not because it involves anything doctrinally complicated, and certainly not because the legal issues were exciting enough to be worth wading through sixty-seven pages of text.  No, that's not it.

Rather, I was interested in the case because of the facts.  It's a murder case.  The opinion includes a bunch of wiretap transcripts and details about the relevant gangs in the area.

Which is not totally unusual.  Not surprisingly, I read lots of cases about murders.  Today's a day that ends in -y, after all.

But this particular case is interesting because the relevant gang is located in Linda Vista -- a particular community in San Diego.  A particular community that just so happens to also be the location of the University of San Diego, at which I am employed.

So I get to learn all about the gangs in the area and the murders committed therefor.  Which is nice.

So I didn't know, for the example, that I'm employed in an area controlled by the Tiny Oriental Crips.  Which means I probably shouldn't wear my "Tournament of Champions" t-shirt around campus, since it prominently displays the abbreviation "TOC."  Don't want anyone thinking that I'm advertising the wrong TOC.

Plus I know something about the TOC's rival, the Asian Crips.  Who are apparently derisively referred to by TOC members as "Ass Cracks."  Creative, those Tiny Oriental Crips.

I could go on.  But given my proximity to their turf, I'll probably keep my comments on this issue somewhat limited.

Suffice it to say that there are two TOC members who will not be coming around the University of San Diego anytime within the next 96 years to life.