Tuesday, September 02, 2014

FTC v. Grant Connect (9th Cir. - Aug. 15, 2014)

It takes real guts -- or stupidity -- to be a huge scammer and yet to file an appeal claiming that the FTC isn't allowed to make sure you don't scam additional people in the future.  But Kyle Kimoto gives it a shot.

Read what this guy did and you wonder (at least if you're me) why the guy's not in prison for even longer than he is.  Moreover, his arguments as to why the injunction against him is overbroad are not ones that strike a resonant chord with me.  If I had my way -- unconstrained by law -- the guy would be precluded from ever engaging in any business.  Ever.  Any.  Business.  He can work for someone as an employee if he'd like.  But the businesses he creates seem to be . . . troublesome.  Hence the prison time and multimillion dollar restitution awards.

So his claim that the limitations on his business activities are not perfectly tailored are not ones that exactly tug on my heart strings.