Monday, June 26, 2023

Law Finance Group LLC v. Key (Cal. Supreme Ct. - June 26, 2023)

I just wanted to give a brief shoutout to Justice Kruger for this opinion earlier today. Sure, it was a unanimous opinion, as is often the case with the California Supreme Court these days. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was an easy opinion to decide and/or write.

The opinion is crisp and well-written. It's not about an issue that burns the deepest recesses of my soul; it's instead about whether the 100-day deadline for seeking to vacate an arbitration award is jurisdictional or subject to equitable doctrines like tolling and estoppel. Something that's important but, let's face it, far from sexy, and not likely to start a ton of bar fights or the like.

Still, I liked reading the thing. Her analysis not only seems right to me, but the opinion as a whole was also written in an organized, breezy fashion that I found particularly readable.

Well done.