Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bono v. David (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 21, 2007)

The Ninth Circuit makes it a five-day weekend and (again) publishes nothing. Nice.

Meanwhile, this case reminds us that it's all about context. So, for example, when the opinion repeatedly refers to what "Bono" has done, I had to keep reminding me that it's not that Bono. Or even that one. Rather, we're talking about Julia Bono. No relation, I assume. And Justice Haerle's opinion doesn't mention it -- and there's no reason to -- but I assume that the "Julia Bono" who's representing herself in this appeal is the same Julia Bono (or should I say, "Reverend Julia Bono") of the Rainbow Church of Living Light. Not exactly one of the world's most popular religions. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

But then I learned: Maybe it is the "real" Bono. Or, at a minimum, that the name "Bono" almost inevitably leads one into a career in music. Because Julia -- uh, Reverend -- Bono appears also to be the precussionist in that wildly popular band Rockinova. Rock on!

I guess I should have expected that the players in this appeal were, shall we say, somewhat interesting when I read this sentence in footnote 2 of the opinion: "Van Donk is described in some of the pleadings before us as a 'master,' but at oral argument it was explained that he is a 'master of martial arts,' not a professional
mediator, and also not an attorney."

I can just see the underlying conversation now. "Let's get a professional mediator. No, wait. This case is way too important for that. Let's get a master. A Kung Fu Master. That'll solve our problems ASAP."

If only regular lawsuits could be solved so easily.