Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Davies v. Sallie Mae (Cal. Ct. App. - Dec. 1, 2008)

If I was a law school graduate (which I am), and if I had gotten seven straight years of economic hardship deferments while I was working as an attorney (which I didn't), I wouldn't have filed a lawsuit against Sallie Mae when it boldly demanded that I actually start paying my loans.

But, then again, I'm not Eureka attorney Stephen Davies.

Regardless, even had I filed such a lawsuit, let me promise you that upon losing said action, I would not have filed an appeal. Lest the result be a published opinion that (a) affirms, (b) lets everyone in the world know that I not only lost, and (c) tells everyone that I didn't even repay my student loans. Which is hardly what a would-be client probably looks for in an attorney.

Yet that's exactly what happens here.