Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Warfield v. Bestgen (9th Cir. - June 24, 2009)

So I obviously now know how much influence I have on the Ninth Circuit. Yesterday I tell the court to slow down -- to pace themselves -- and crank out so many opinions at once. They issued ten today. So, dutifully, they follow my counsel. How many published opinions today? Ten.

So much for my input. Thankfully, however, even in the rush to finish up the opinions as this class of clerks starts to leave, there's still room for a little humor. So take today's tidbit from Judge Thomas:

"Not only did Robert Dillie promise his investors 'a gift for your lifetime and beyond,' he pledged 'preservation of the American way of life,' 'preservation of your assets,' and 'preservation of the American family.' Unless Dillie meant to refer to the way of life perfected by the Boston swindler Charles Ponzi and his family, we can safely say that Dillie’s claims were a bit overstated."

Even I got a chuckle out of that one.