Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Milner v. Dept. of Navy (9th Cir. - Aug. 5, 2009)

Did I wake up this morning and accidentally travel back in time?

I vaguely recall that the Ninth Circuit used to (and perhaps still does) issue "summaries" -- sort of like the syllabi issued by the Supreme Court -- as part of the paper slip opinions. But I don't recall seeing one of these for a least a decade or so, or at least not on the electronic (as opposed to paper) versions of the opinions.

And yet, today, lo and behold, there's a summary in this opinion. And there's another one in this opinion as well. Even though there's not a summary in any of the other opinions for the day.

Which I cogently put down to selective time travel. At least until someone explains otherwise to me. (Both opinions with summaries have dissents, but I can't imagine that's the unifying theme. Or is it?)

The mysteries of the universe continue.