Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dixon v. Williams (9th Cir. - April 30, 2014)

It's been a slow June day.  Nothing from the California Court of Appeal.  Just a tiny edit to a single opinion from the Ninth Circuit.  Zzzzzz.

So, for contrast, I thought I'd mention something a little different.  Something . . . speedy.

Now, mind you, I've been on juries in California.  When they deliberate, they generally do so during the usual business day.  Come in at around 9, leave at around 5.  Or earlier.  Typical business hours.

So I was fairly surprised to see footnote 3 of this opinion.  Involving a murder trial in Las Vegas:

"The jury began deliberating at about 7:10 p.m. on Thursday, October 28, 2004, and returned a verdict by 2:32 a.m. on Friday, October 29, 2004."

Which made me think:  Wow.  They really do love late nights in Vegas.  For everything.