Tuesday, October 04, 2016

In Re Marriage of Cohen (Cal. Ct. App. - Oct. 3, 2016)

As I'm reading this opinion, I kept saying to myself:  "Wow.  This is a really well-written opinion.  I mean, really well written."  The sentences are crisp.  The analysis is tight.  Just incredibly well done.

By that, I don't necessarily mean that the substantive content is perfect.  There may well be parts to which a reader might disagree.  It's not a totally open-and-shut case.

Nonetheless, as far as style goes, the opinion is nothing less than amazing.

I can tell good writing from bad writing.  But it's exceptionally rare that I come across an opinion in which the writing literally makes me sit up in my chair.  This is one of those cases.

So as I was reading the opinion, I couldn't wait to get until the end.  Who's writing the thing?  Who's this incredibly good?  I exaggerate not in the slightest when I say that I was itching to get to the end just to find out.  (And, no, I did not skip ahead:  I wanted the tension to build.)

Then I get to the end.  Justice Bedsworth.

I should have known.

Anyway, extremely well done.  Good job (eventually) publishing it.  Not only because the substantive law therein clearly meets the standard for publication.  But also as an exemplar of outstanding writing.