Thursday, February 13, 2020

In re Marriage of Deluca (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 13, 2020)

Rarely do you learn about your neighbors by reading published judicial opinions.  But I learned a bit today.

The opinion at issue is a run-of-the-mill appeal about community property in a divorce.  Fact-specific for the most part.  The former spouses had been married for 15 years, and had two kids and various properties.  I noticed that the case was out of San Diego, and recognized the general location of some of the properties (Encinitas, etc.).

But it wasn't until I saw this line that I became keenly interested:  "Rosalinda 'had been living rent free for approximately the last three years,' and George had been 'living in a 2 million dollar plus residence in Point Loma.'" 

Hey!  Point Loma!  That's pretty much where I live!

Mind you, he's over the hill, on the bay side.  By the Yacht Club.  Nice location, to be sure.  And, yes, the house is indeed worth a couple of million or so.

I don't know the parties personally.  But still.  Neighbors.  To a degree.