Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Turrey v. Vervent (9th Cir. - Aug. 12, 2026)

This is an opinion about accrual dates for RICO violations, but what's somewhat (very marginally) strange about it is that it seems like Judge Mendoza is deliberately writing the opinion to be extremely accessible to the general public.

Check it out for yourself. The language and analysis just seems . . . simple. To be clear: Not simplistic, but instead, pitched to a low-level audience. Explaining basic concepts using simple words and ideas.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course. It's just that your typical Ninth Circuit opinion involves complex issues and gets discussed in a complex fashion. This one just reads different to me.

That might not be unusual for a high-profile opinion that's potentially going to be read by lots of people in the general public. But it's not like normal people commonly pick up opinions about when injuries accrue for statute of limitations purposes in federal RICO statutes, right?

I put Judge Mendoza's text into a couple of online analysis websites and they all say the writing is at around a 12th grade level. That's not simple, of course. But it's a lot lower, I suspect, than a lot of Ninth Circuit opinions that are written for what I suspect is a more graduate-school audience.

Just unusual. Not bad. Different.

Something that jumped out at me that I thought I would point out.