Monday, April 20, 2009

People v. Flores (Cal. Ct. App. - April 20, 2009)

The situation in Riverside is perhaps better -- at least slightly -- than it once was. But it's still a nightmare. Take a look at this if you don't believe me.

It used to be that you didn't get any civil trials at all. Now you get them, thanks to special dispensation, once in a blue moon.

But you've still got criminal defendants being kicked for an inability to timely find a court in which to try 'em. Plus, honestly, the Riverside D.A. isn't helping things by its well-known practice of papering Judge Tranbarger even when he's assigned to a case that will otherwise be dismissed. I mean, come on. I know you don't like the guy. But you'd rather dismiss the case, even with prejudice, than give it a shot in his courtroom? Geeze.

(I say all this, by the way, having no connection whatsoever to the situation out there other than knowing a few students who are Riverside ADAs, previously working with someone (Hal Hopp) who's now a Riverside judge, and the fact that the Riverside DA is a USD Law graduate from way back. All I can tell you is what I see and read. And it ain't good.)