Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yu v. University of La Verne (Cal. Ct. App. - June 15, 2011)

If I was a law student at the University of La Verne and in my last semester of law school and was assigned to draft a contract for one of my classes, I know what I'd do:  Go on the internet and plagarize what's there.  Once I was caught, rather than express remorse and learn from what I've done, I'd fight the charges, and follow up by attacking my professor, saying it was really his fault, not mine.

Then, at the hearing, when the student prosecutor recommends explusion, but I escape with only a failing grade for the class, I'd definitely appeal to the Dean.  When the Dean affirms this penalty, as well as suspends me for the summer, I'd then file a lawsuit, claiming that I'd been "targeted" based upon exercising my right to "free speech".

Then, after moving for and being denied a preliminary injunction, I'd definitely appeal.  Because I'm totally going to win, and want nothing more than a published opinion that recounts my plagarism for everyone to see.  Since I'm going to be an attorney any day now, after all.

Such are the thoughts, I imagine, of Katrina Yu.  Who -- shockingly -- loses her appeal.  And who's not listed as a member of the Bar of the State of California either.

Surprises everywhere.