Tuesday, February 14, 2017

In re Miles (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 10, 2017)

I had to read this modification three times before I finally understood it:

"On page 9, second full paragraph, change the following last full sentence that appears on that page: 'The tow truck driver give his father a receipt' to 'The tow truck driver gave his father a receipt.'"

I thought:  Wait.  Did the original say that the tow truck driver gave the driver a receipt, when really it was the father who got it?  Or did the original erroneously talk about the tow truck driver's father?  I kept staring at the modification trying to figure it out.  'Cause usually these types of modifications entail edits where the original opinion erroneously refers to the wrong person doing X or Y.

Only on my third reading did I finally get it.  It wasn't a substantive error.  It was just a typo.  "Give" versus "gave".  Something not caught by a spellchecker.

But yeah.  Gave.  That's right.

Grammar.