Monday, July 17, 2017

Lewis v. Superior Court (Cal. Supreme Ct. - July 17, 2017)

I wonder why it is that I find myself agreeing with the California Supreme Court more than perhaps many other courts?  Similar disposition to the justices?  More cases that the court accepts for review that are important and yet often unanimous?  Some other reason?

(Or maybe the predicate's  untrue.  It's distinctly possible that I agree with an equal -- or greater -- number of Ninth Circuit cases, or cases from other courts, but simply read more opinions from those tribunals.)

Regardless, today's opinion is another one that seems spot on to me.  There's probably a fairly strong privacy interest in giving the authorities access to CURES (drug prescription) data.  But there's also a good reason for doing so -- to prevent drug abuse.  So the present regime is permissible.

Works for me.  Even though the ACLU would require more.