Thursday, February 03, 2022

People v. Mendoza (Cal. Ct. App. - Feb. 3, 2022)

You don't see many appellate decisions these days involving the crime of extortion.  Some, of course, but not many.  Maybe that's because it doesn't happen all that much.  Maybe it's because practitioners usually get away with it.  Whatever the reason, I simply haven't thought about that particular crime much.

But today's opinion involves a defendant convicted for extortion, and Judge Harutunian (sitting from San Diego) writes something that suggests -- quite accurately, I think -- that the line between "extortion" and simple "robbery" is often an incredibly narrow one.

Take, as here, a guy who walks up to someone and says (in sum or substance) "Give me $100 or I'll beat you."  Sounds like a fairly typical robbery, eh?  But it can also sound like a classic attempt at extortion -- in particular, a demand for payment of "protection" money.

So which is it?  Or is it both?  Regardless, what's the legal distinction?

Here, it seems like it's extortion -- which is what the defendant is in fact convicted of -- if only because the defendant did the same thing to the victim repeatedly and on a schedule (i.e., here, on the first of every month).  That seems clearly a protection racket and, hence, extortion.

But imagine it was only the first time he did it.  And, perhaps, that it was simply a one-time thing:  pay me $100 now or I'll hurt you.  Robbery?  Extortion?  Totally hard to tell.

I'm not certain at all that I can come up with an actual "rule" to distinguish the two crimes, honestly.  I have a keen sense that I know extortion (as opposed to robbery) when I see it, at least in its most classic manifestations.  But were prosecutors to charge someone with extortion in the classic robbery setting -- e.g., the prototypical "mugging" scenario -- I'm not sure I could come up with good arguments for why one crime is the one and the other crime is the other.

There's got to be a difference, that I know:  we don't (and can't) have entirely duplicative crimes.  But what the difference actually is here honestly escapes me.

Perhaps smarter others can figure it out.  But as for me, I remain befuddled.