Tuesday, November 24, 2009

People v. Archer (Cal. Ct. App. - Nov. 17, 2009)

I've known some pill poppers in my day. Still do. It's a scary -- and dangerous -- thing to get addicted to the stuff. And seemingly oh so easy.

I say that with no disrespect. Thankfully, I don't have to live with chronic pain. I can only imagine what that must be like. To infect every single moment of your life with persistent, unending pain.

With that (important) caveat, I would nonetheless like to say the following: If you're really using a pound of marijuana each month, that's gotta really -- really -- impact your life. Sure, I know that if you're chowing down on it you use about quadruple what you'd need if you were hitting the bong.

But a pound a month? Wow. I think I'd be pretty consistently out of it and unable to function if I were unfortunate enough to require an ounce a month. And that's with an academic job, no less. I can't even fathom how I'd function -- at all -- under such a "medicinal" regiment.

Maybe someone out there knows (or knew) a hardcore stoner who toked up a pound a month. But I definitely don't. That just seems like a lot to me. A whole lot.
Admittedly, with all of the in-laws coming over for the holidays, maybe my perspective on the appropriate volume of mind-altering substances will change over the next month or so. We'll see.